With the use of mouth guards, Dr. Gage at True North Orthodontics want to protect the smiles of everyone in Calgary. If you or your child are involved in sports, visit us today and help protect your smile.
Why might I need a mouth guard?
You may need a mouth guard, whether or not you have braces!
Mouth guards are important to protect your smile while you play sports. At True North Orthodontics, Dr. Gage provides custom mouth guards for patients in Calgary of all ages!
Dental injuries are the most frequently incurred orofacial injuries from sports activities. Mouth guards relieve the stress concentrated on the anterior teeth in a frontal collision by absorbing and dispersing some of the shock energy.
At True North Orthodontics, Children and adults can be fitted for a custom mouth guard with a $5 donation.
All proceeds from our Mouth Safety Program go towards supporting KidSport Calgary, a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance to kids who wish to play sports but do not have the financial means to do so.
Functions of Mouth Guards
Prevent laceration and bruising during impact. They act as a buffer between the lips, cheeks, and the teeth.
Findings suggest that athletes feel more confident and aggressive when they have proper protection.
What do I do if I have a...
Retrieve the broken fragment and see if your Dentist can reattach it. Most fractures of the enamel are only repairable.
Gently try to move the tooth back into place and see your Dentist. A splint may be recommended for 2-4 weeks.
- If you happen to knock out a tooth, you have four options to handle the tooth before seeing emergency attention:
- Handle the tooth: It’s important that you handle the tooth by the enamel only, not by the root. You can also try to put the tooth back in if it is clean.
- Ask your Hockey (or other sports) Arena if they have any “Hanks Balanced Salt Solution” or a “Save-A-Tooth container”. Follow the instructions on the container.
- Place tooth in a container of Whole Milk.
- Saliva (tuck the tooth into the side of the cheek inside the mouth).